Thursday, August 23, 2012

Unattractive

Since being in Thailand in January, I’ve added a new dimension of communication with my wife. While I was away, our contact was limited to Skype calls at 4 am, or instant messaging. When I sent the messages, I also included a picture of me or my surroundings.
The messaging worked out so well that I have continued to do that at home. Occasionally, I do so even when we are sitting next to each other on the couch. I find the use of satellite technology to cover distances of a few feet to be hilarious.
I told Amy that my plan was to send her a picture of me every day. Each time I would make a different face. There have been some blank days without pictures, and some days with several pictures. The faces are different, and try to capture the essence of the message I send with it.
On Fat Tuesday, I just used my normal expression. Actually, I was trying to puff out my cheeks, but they were puffy already.
On Ash Wednesday, I displayed the ashes on my forehead from our noontime service.
Several times, I’ve sent a picture of me forming a kiss. It’s a hideous sight. The first time I did it I thought That’s horrible, I’d better take another. But it didn’t matter. The sight of me puckering my lips for a kiss is unpleasant. My message read: “I know it’s a little frightening, but this is me kissing you.”
Amy said she wasn’t repulsed. She tried to send me one back. Then, feeling her own picture of forming a kiss was unacceptable, she decided against it.
Isn’t it interesting that expressions of love may not always appear attractive? Some may even seem to be the opposite. But whatever it might look like at first, love always has the loved one’s best at heart. So when someone gently corrects you for a poor attitude, an unwise decision, or wrong word, it might not appear attractive. But it is love in action. When someone calls you out for failing to forgive or for rationalizing your sin, it might look ugly. But love is being expressed.
“Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses” (Proverbs 27:5-6).
Compliments and flattering words are easy to receive. Yet they may not spring from love. In fact, some of the best expressions of love might look unattractive or even cause pain. Real love isn’t always pretty, but it never fails.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment