Thursday, August 9, 2012

Identifying Sinful Anger (part 1)


How do I know if my anger is right or wrong? It depends upon why I am angry and how I express it. What does sinful anger look like?

Sinful Anger Involves Not Getting What I Want. James 4 teaches that a big source of conflict in life is: “I want something, but don’t get it.” When I’m mad, it’s embarrassing to realize how many times this is the reason.

I wanted approval, and didn’t get it. I wanted what you have, and didn’t get it. I wanted some attention, and didn’t get it. I wanted the bigger piece, and didn’t get it. I wanted to come in first, and I didn’t get it. I wanted love, and didn’t get it. I wanted someone to say "thanks," or to say "I’m sorry," or to say "you’re right," and didn’t get it.

When I examine why I am angry, hurt, reacting, often the reason isn’t pretty. Deep down it is selfish ambition, jealousy, a sinful craving. When I can identify that as the reason for my anger, the anger is wrong.

Part 2 will discuss wrong expressions of anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment