Monday, May 23, 2011

3 Critical Questions for Life's Direction-Part 3


3. Where am I headed?
Proverbs 14:2"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."

Destination is all important. Not all roads are equal. Not all directions will end up where you should be. The destination question is not to be ignored. The fool is deceived by thinking the destination doesn’t matter. All of us can get wrapped up into doing what seems best for us, what looks the nicest, the safest, the easiest, the most rewarding. But you are only judging the way, the immediate journey. To focus on the way that seems right to you, will end in death. Because when it comes to ultimate things, you and I don’t have the right answers. The destination is wrong and the result is fatal. It’s a dead end.

No matter how life goes now, if you don’t have the right answer to the Where am I headed question, death is your future. You might be answering that question with, “I’m a pretty good person”. That’s a death sentence. Or you might say, “I like my life. Things will turn out okay.” That’s a dead end. Or “I’m a church-goer.” Or “I don’t worry about it. Whatever happens happens.” Or “I’m just enjoying the journey.” Death, death, death.

I need to warn those of you who are headed the wrong way. You think everything is fine. But I beg you to consider the direction of your life. This may be one more time when God is calling you. He may use this to get you thinking, so you will start considering the destination of the road you are on. Or this may be your only chance. This may be the last time you have the opportunity to hear that there is one right way, by grace through faith in Jesus. Don’t miss it. Don’t ignore it. Don’t lie to yourself. This is the day you need to change the very direction of your life. There is only one right destination, everything else ends in death.

These are the critical questions you and I need for life’s direction.
·         What am I doing? It’s too easy not to be righteous, or real. I need to stop lying to myself and reflect on my moral choices.
·         Who am I listening to? It’s too easy to hear what I want to hear, and accept without verifying. I need to consider things carefully in light of God’s truth.
·         Where am I headed? It’s too easy to ignore that, and to do whatever seems good to me. I need to turn to the one who is the way.

My 16-year-old daughter has a little saying she uses on me from time to time. She says, “You’re a good man with a bright future.” I believe she is trying to encourage me. She may sense I’m feeling down about things, and this is her way of giving me a pep talk. At first I argued with her a bit. “My future’s all behind me,” I said. She pointed out that this was impossible. To use her words, "All of your future is still in front of you...no matter how short it may be." Having affirmed the truth of the statement, she repeats, “You’re a good man with a bright future.” I must have appeared to be having a rough week last week. She said it three different times. 

Here’s the truth, the real goodness in me is because of Jesus. The only reason my future is bright is because of Jesus. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment