Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Four Signs I Am Not God-Focused

"I cannot do it," Joseph replied to Pharaoh, "but God will…” (Genesis 41:16)

Here are four indicators that warn me when I am not God-focused.
  1. When my attitude is, ‘I can solve this. I’m trying to fix my marriage. I’m trying to figure out my future. I’m trying to make the right financial decisions. I’m trying to choose which way to go. I’m trying overcome temptation, or do the right thing, without first acknowledging that I can’t do it.
  2. When my attitude is, ‘It’s hopeless.’ I have no problem admitting that I can’t, but I struggle to believe that God can. This dilemma is just too great. This issue is overwhelming. There is no escape, no way out. So I quit or hide or sin or despair.
  3. When my issues are a secret. I’m struggling, but no one else knows. I’m not willing to admit that there is something I can’t do. I’m not willing to let the flaws show and be honest about failure. I won’t ask for help or accountability. So it’s all a secret until everything disintegrates. Victory is not possible until I come clean, and admit I can’t do it.
  4. When my focus is me. When I become the problem-solver, the answer man, the listening ear, the counselor, the fixer, I must be careful. That is a short step to self-reliance, when I don’t bother to look beyond myself for help. If I use my abilities and talents and energies without constantly declaring my need of God, it becomes about me. Or the opposite is true. When people are always helping me. I’m always in need. I feel neglected because people aren’t helping me enough. I feel slighted because no one understands me, or has time for me. That is not how a God-focused person thinks. Alistair Begg says such self-attention “will obscure the grace of God.” Whether in helping others or in looking for help from others, I must constantly acknowledging my absolute need of God, or the focus shifts to me and blocks God’s grace.

The difference between a Christian and everyone else on the planet is the fundamental understanding that “You cannot do it.” Otherwise, you are always trying to be your own savior. God has done it for you in Christ. At its very core, Christianity is about recognizing your inability. That must be how I live after salvation too. Jesus said: “Apart from me, you can do nothing” (John 15:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment